Individual Trauma Therapy helps you to get a grip on your own life again. You receive guidance in recovering from the consequences of a traumatic event or a traumatic period, for example in your youth or in a relationship. You’ll learn to control your own thoughts and emotions, or you learn to distinguish what is yours and what comes from others when something is going on in your environment that has an impact on your emotional life or on your functioning. You can improve this situation with the help of trauma therapy. We create overview and healing by working with this, and from that basis we work towards a new chapter in your life.
When is trauma therapy helpful?
Trauma therapy can be a solution in a wide variety of situations. Think, for example, of problems within intimate relationships, emotional problems from the past, processing loss, conflicts at work or in relationships, or stress complaints for no apparent reason. During the therapy we look at both causes and solutions. So we address underlying traumas and emotions, and healing them, but you’ll also develop skills that can provide a way out of the situation. These skills can be very diverse: remaining calm in challenging situations, standing up for yourself in conflicts, making your own needs and boundaries clear, creating a clear picture of the future or being independent but loving in relationships.
You’re welcome with the following trauma-related issues:
- Fear of failure, panic or difficulty with deadlines
- Difficulty setting or maintaining boundaries
- Social anxiety, shyness or blackouts
- Problems with intimacy or other relationship-related questions
- Problems stemming from the effects of sexual abuse
- Moody or depressed feelings with no apparent cause
- (Recovery from) emotional, psychological or narcissistic abuse
- (Recovery from) emotional neglect or abuse in childhood
- PTSD, CPTSD, and dissociative disorders
- Structural dissociation
Of course, you’re welcome to contact me if you are unsure if this is the right therapy for you.
How do I work?
I mainly work with the body-oriented therapy of Somatic Experiencing, with which you’ll strengthening your focus in mindfulness and healing and integrating trauma parts. With the help of experiential exercises you’ll come back grounded and embodies with your senses.
In summary, I’m applying the following techniques and methods:
- Somatic Experiencing Therapy (SE)
- Imaginary Rescripting Therapy (ImRs)
- Imaginary Exposure Therapy (IE)
- Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Mapping and integration of personality parts
- Transactional Analysis (TA)
- Systemic work (Family constellations)
- Spiritual and energetic work
- Mindfulness based therapy
Duration of the treatment
The number of sessions needed depends on the questions you have, but for fairly simple topics, between 6 and 10 sessions are usually enough.
The frequency of sessions can vary between weekly, to once every three weeks. We agree on this on a session-by-session basis.
In the treatment of the consequences of early childhood traumatization (CPTSD and dissociative disorders) I’m using the phase-oriented treatment model. This requires a much longer time and then the lead time will be one to three years of treatment.
- During the first phase we’re focusing on safety, stabilization, reducing symptoms and building a safe therapeutic relationship. This includes gaining knowledge of the issues, lowering stress levels in the body, improving basic life functions (eating, sleeping, self-care), learning emotion regulation skills and learning or improving relationship skills.
- The second phase is were the actual trauma processing takes place which involves confronting, working through and integrating the traumatic memories. This phase is interspersed with stabilization and symptom management as needed.
- During the third phase you’ll integrating the past, present and future in your life story. It’s all about mourning, new perspective and recovery.
Depending on the nature of the issues, the treatment process may or may not go through all phases. In some cases, it will not be necessary to spend much time on the first phase and the trauma treatment phase can be moved on to fairly quickly. In other cases, treatment will consist primarily of working on primary phase goals.
I’m situated in The Netherlands. The address of my practice is: Hierdenseweg 17, 3841 GV Harderwijk. Click here for the route description (by appointment only).
For international consults its also possible to work by video calls, or work intensively in a three day intensive.
Rates and fees
My therapy sessions are currently partly reimbursed by the Dutch health insurance companies.
Click here for an overview of my rates
General terms and conditions apply to all my services.
If you are unable to attend, please cancel by telephone at least one working day in advance. If you cancel later or not at all, the costs will be charged.
Subscribe or contact me
The button below allows you to sign up for the waiting list.
Due to the busy schedule I am not reachable by phone. Please use the contact form below for questions.